Thursday, December 1, 2011

Grow down!

"Act your age!" "Grow up!" "Stop acting like a kid!" I hear phrases like this... all the time. People seem to think that I am immature. Maybe in some instances, I am. I am almost twenty years old. I thoroughly enjoy movies meant for kids. I would rather go swinging in a park than hanging out at a club. I only ever order Happy Meals from McDonalds, and I won't touch vegetables. I am absolutely fascinated with toys meant for children. But I don't think things like movie, food, and activity choice define maturity. How DO you define maturity? I think a person is mature if they are responsible. I think a person is mature if they are reliable. I think a mature person is punctual. I think a mature person knows how to test the waters about what kind of conversation is appropriate with new people. I think a mature person knows when it's their turn to speak. And for the most part... I am responsible, reliable and punctual, AND I'm pretty sure that I clam up more often than I try to make sure I'm heard. (Although, that probably has more to do with my chronic shyness than my maturity level.) I THINK, that people need to find the line between one's lack of maturity and one's embracing of his or her own inner child. I even think that we should all do a little more embracing of our inner child. Go swinging. Find an old toy and just play with it. GET A PUPPY! Go see a kids movie. Let loose a little. We're all so concerned with keeping up appearances and trying to comply with activities and interests that are supposed to be the social norm of our age groups... that we forget to have fun. And maybe doing kids stuff isn't fun for everyone... but you shouldn't rule out a night of  roller skating because you're afraid of being the oldest one there. Grow down a little. It'll probably do you some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment