Thursday, March 1, 2012

If love is blind, how can there be love at first sight?

      Ahhh what a question, indeed. One of my closest friends put that up as her status on Facebook and mentioned in a comment that she would like to see what I have to say about it. I started to write my response in a comment... but then I realized that I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY for this. So. Here I go.

     How can there be love at first site if love is blind? Well. Love at first sight doesn't exist. And... love isn't blind. "But WEEEENDIIII," you argue, "those things are real!!" But alas, they are not.

      Let me start with love at first sight. It can't happen. If it could, the thought of Ryan Reynolds would buckle my knees and send raging butterflies throughout my entire body. But it doesn't. I am just INSANELY attracted to him. You can be insanely attracted to a person, but you can't love someone without knowing them. That isn't romantic, that's creepy. If a boy came up to me and said, "I saw you from over there... and... well... I love you." I would probably say, "Um. That's nice... I have to go... be... ANYWHERE ELSE! Kbye!"

     Love... it isn't blind. The whole "love is blind" phrase essentially boils down to, "love doesn't discriminate," am I right? But... love does discriminate. This goes directly to my last blog about love being conditional. If love didn't discriminate, I could be madly in love with my pink stuffed dragon. Although I am fond of my pink stuffed dragon, I don't want to marry it. For some people, love can discriminate different things. For the bisexual kid, love doesn't discriminate gender at all. For the gay boy and for the straight girl, love for them means another boy. I am straight. I can't love a woman in the same way I can love a man. Love discriminates for me in that way. I am a college student with a 3.7ish GPA. If a boy can't carry an intelligent conversation with me, I won't love him. That is love discrimination! Love isn't blind. You love someone based on how they meet your standards and expectations in a partner. That doesn't mean you can't love someone you didn't intend to. This doesn't mean your standards or expectations won't change. What this means is that when you love someone, you love them because of who they are.

     I hope I answered my friend's question.
     I hope I'm still captivating!
     Sorry there were no bears or velociraptors this time.
     Ask me something else! :)
     (I'll keep it confidential if you want me to!)

No comments:

Post a Comment