Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Selfish," is NOT a bad word.

That awkward moment... when I planed my next blog... and my teacher started talking about the subject I was going to blog about in class... and I'm blogging about it anyway... Yep. That's happening.

THAT aside, "selfishness," is not a bad word. "BUT WENDI!" You may argue, "selfish people are bad people! Selfish people only care about themselves. Selfish people don't have anyone else in mind. Selfish people don't care! Selfish people, are mean, rude, and do everything they can to squash the little guy!" And to that argument, I say... Nope.

Guess what? I am one of the most absolute selfish people I know. Every thing I ever do, I do for me. I drink Dr Pepper when I want to. I am a Theatre major, because Theatre is what I want to do with my life. I don't live to please anyone but myself. Even this very blog. I don't write these for your entertainment! I write these because I want to share MY philosophy. I write these because I absolutely LOVE when people say, "Wendi! I read your blog! You are so insightful/awesome/funny/what have you."

"But Wendi! What about Zach? If you are a selfish creep, why does he stick around??" Zach sticks around because he likes my company. He likes what I have to say. He likes when I'm a doofus, and he thinks I'm pretty. Would he like all of those things if I were a "selfish creep?" Of course not! The other day, it was raining. I got out of class early, and I knew Zach needed to walk from the engineering building, to the theater. I borrowed Cassie's umbrella, walked in the rain to the engineering building, and I waited for him to get out of class, just so he could walk under an umbrella. Would anyone say that was a "selfish creep" thing to do? Of course not! But you know what? It was selfish. "HOW, WOMAN, HOW???" You may ask. Well, I did it for me. I wanted Zach to know that I would go out of my way to do something that nice for him. Why? Because it made ME feel like I was being an awesome girlfriend. That act made me feel good about myself. It was all for me!

The problem with the word "selfishness" is that is has a bad connotation. The denotations are not so positive either. The word means, "concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself." And all of its synonyms are negative too. These terms (selfish, egotistical, narcissistic, self-absorbed, etc.) teach us that doing things for ourselves is bad. But it isn't! The problem occurs when a person resorts to hurting other people for themselves. THAT is bad. THAT is being a creep. But I am selfish. And I don't like being associated with douchers that shit on other people to get what they want.

I hope I'm making sense. It's okay to be selfish. It's okay to do what you want for you. If you spend your entire life trying to make someone other than yourself happy, you will live to regret it. Don't let your parents' dreams for you get in the way of yours. Don't let your partner's happiness become more important than your happiness. If you have to let some people down, fine. If they really care about you, they'll be glad you're happy. Just don't steal other people's boyfriends, or dogs. And no matter how much wedgies and swirlies might get your rocks off, find a better outlet... like... ear wax sculpting.

So here's to being selfish. Because if you're not just awesomely excited to share how awesome your life was when you're 107, what's the point to everything, right?

Be selfish.
Be awesome.
And... tell me what you wanna read next!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment